Sunday, December 9, 2007

Post 26





































Spent half day Fri and Sat in the studio. I've had the good fortune of the loan of a desk which has proved to be a beneficial addition for my studio practice. I've been acquiring a useful collection of collage materials since commencing the course. The images produced have been created in response to the brief to produce 3 posters...one for each conversation between Stillman and Quinn in chapter 9 of The City Of Glass...the first story forming part of The New York Trilogy.
I've been trying to think less about the dialogue and more about the use of materials. The latest selection of images have been produced on lining paper. There is something quite liberating on a material that has a less precious feel as opposed to that of the sketchbook. I think it is probably more to do with working in the liberating studio environment. There is less of a fear for the potential of making 'mistakes.' There is the practical issue of having all materials at hand. No fear off ink, pens, torn paper, spray paint turning my home into a disordered chaotic maze. The studio is my haven of creativity, the space that facilitates free flowing intuition.
I've also had an opportunity to begin to collage some computer printed typefaces onto the posters. I've somehow felt a reluctance to do this, usually using my own handwriting. I've the contrast between the collage typefaces and my drawing a liberating process. I think it seems to add something to the work, although I would like to continue using my own handwriting in conjunction with others.

No comments: