
I'm still really wanting to try screen printing! Ideally, I would have liked to produce on of the posters as a print, but time and practicalities seem to be working against me...I wish I was living in one of those 3rd year houses so I'd be closer to the college for a year...on second thoughts!
I think I've shown the image to the left as part of an earlier post in its simplest form...pen on paper. I found myself talking to my partner in a state of irritation...how am I going to portray these passages as images? As I was talking, I was drawing on a scrap piece of paper, intended for the purpose of writing a shopping list.
Why do I choose the pens that I use? Is it because I like the feeling of the nib on the paper? Ellie introduced me to 'The Mitsubishi pen about 6 years ago. prior to that I would use the artist fine tip pens most of the time. Why not choose a different drawing tool? I've tried countless pens...others run out quicker, damaged nibs etc. Is it wrong of me to say that they are cost effective?
Why did I choose the drawing tool above? was it because it was close to hand? I could have used a brush tipped ink pen.
The figure hovers over what appears to be a liquid shadow, on the verge of jumping into itself?
The paper...was there a reason why, at that moment I felt a need to draw? was I using the pen as an external way in which to think through a problem? Is it valid as an illustrator to allow what seemed to be an unconscious doodle and turn it into a figure? Is it OK to transform the squiggle into a shape that resembles a person? Does this relate to the text in a legitimate way?
The colours....I'd like to try and produce some images via other means but this one has been rendered in photoshop. Why have I chosen them? I don't think a photoshop image does the book justice. Perhaps it looks a bit humorous? Is this the way that I want to put the book across to a wider audience? What would engage the types of people who would buy The New York Trilogy? Is this it? Would someone really commission this? Would I commission this if I were the owner of Bookers in Oxford?
No comments:
Post a Comment