Sunday, January 20, 2008

Post 28


















































Here are a few example of beginning a journey to conquer an avoidance of hands in my work and further responses to The New York Trilogy...
It has been something of a relief to return the 20+ books from my research methods and held onto just a few to read in a bit more depth such as The poetics of space by Bachelard, explaining illustration by Michael Fleishman and my own edition of Teach Yourself Postmodernism by Glen Ward.
It's interesting looking at The New York Trilogy having studied Structuralism, Post Structuralism and Postmodernism. It leaves me feeling concerned regarding my visual responses: are they too formulaic? Could I push this one much further?
I feel that much of my drawing processes are intuitive but am considering the visual signs/semiotics etc? Perhaps the pens go into retirement for a while, even though I feel at my so - called happiest working in this way? Many of my responses to the NY Trilogy have been primarily intuitive...I might need to consider other options to tackle potential future briefs.
I've still been checking in and out of the AOI website and seen a number of events that may be of interest but unfortunately finances are getting tighter than ever. Perhaps I should have waited another year? Anyway, the research methods alone have been worth the three and a half grand sucker punch to my finances, but I can't help but feel that I'd move quicker with more cash. For example, a website would be a great start....
I'll start by looking at the painting/collage (above with mainly pink background). I took a book out of the library at the beginning of the course on Basquiat with the intention of producing a City of Glass image in his style.
I started it in oil, painting over an old canvas...a pink background with two black squares.
The first thing that I've found incredibly difficult is converting text to image. I started reading the Stillman junior monologue and was struck by the almost sickly ill description of this character. My perception, perhaps, of the strangeness of a new book...
The meanderings, the doodles...intentionality...I think I'll go back to read chap 5 of teach yourself Postmodernism.
Writers mentioned in NYC trilogy...POE...MILTON...





No comments: