
www.the spacesbetween.co.uk
'Non-places are spaces of transport and transit that are lacking any historical significance and strong symbolism. If a place can be defined as relational, historical and concerned with identity, the a space which cannot be defined as relational historical or concerned with identity will be a non-place.'
P77 Marc Auge in Non-places An Introduction To Anthropology Of Supermodernity.
The Tesco car park...place or non-place? Does the style of a drawing influence the representation of these spaces? I need start looking at the spaces between the spaces...how does one illustrate a non-place?
I intend to produce an illustrated series of drawings, writing, video and visits to 'traditional' non-places such as car parks, supermarkets, Little chef, petrol stations, industrial parks along the A180 stretch between Grimsby and the service station area at the end of the road. I'll conclude my road trip with an overnight and stroll the hallowed halls of the heavenly travelodge.
Who needs the authentic holiday experience when you can have it all on and around the motorway?
No comments:
Post a Comment