Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Post 133


I've spent the morning closer to home today after the wonders of my car breaking down on the outskirts of Doncaster.


I started my journey with a visit to a roadside cafe which is about a mile outside my village. in the winter the outside door is closed so you can never tell who is already inside. I opened the door to find the husband and wife staff team sat a a table. The woman stands up and says:


'Its cold today - are you eating out?'


'I'd like to eat in - a bacon bap and a cup of coffee please.'


I'm interested in whether the staff would ask a trucker the same question 'to eat out?'. I became aware of my appearance and of myself entering a narrative of sorts. I found it difficult to draw which was frustrating. I feel an environment where there are more customers provides a more favourable setting for an under cover artist. I was wondering whether they might have seen me as a potential health and safety inspector as I scribbled in my notebook. Perhaps it's best for me to concentrate on responding to these non-places using the written word.
'Cheers mate.' As my bacon bap arrives. I stand up again and pour some milk in my coffee. I felt out of place, standing out like a sore thumb. The walls were adorned with 50's style American diner posters with the sound of Jeremy Kyle intro music coming from the TV.

No comments: