Sunday, November 28, 2010

Post 3b (SL).


I've been thinking about carpeting the gallery space with synthetic grass for the show proposal. what am I trying to achieve by doing this? My initial thought has got something to do with the aesthetic appearance. It could look like an interesting statement or it could fail. I think that I need to keep writing about this.
I remember about 10 years ago I 'planted' a series of twigs with speech bubbles coming from them in a section of synthetic grass - these could also play a part in the exhibition. I think they are somehow loosely related. So as i said, I'll need to keep writing down the thoughts - and I think the informal nature of the blog format is a good place to begin.
I've also been thinking about how the art of the 'fastasy or imagined' can take or reinterpret events or experiences from the 'real'.
I opened my studio recently and had an interesting conversation with another studio artist and he revealed the following ideas and thoughts about the project:

'The scribbled out text is suggestive of hidden messages, as though something is bubbling under the surface.' It was also likened as a kind of Davinci Code.

I could use metallic badges of the clubs as part of the exhibition - with a Blue Peter quality.

I could print out the tables/san them and make them smaller through the process of baking in the oven or shrinkies. This is similar to the quality achieved when one deflates a baloon.

I want to encourage audience participation. I copuld invite members of the public to identify themselves with one of my imaginary teams and sign up to a kind of contract or membership to a particular club. I could make up a selection of conditions for membership. This brings about thoughts of attachment or a need to affiliate oneslf to a team. It has a lot to do with identity and how we use signs to make up our identities as human beings.

7/01/11


I was listening to a radio 4 programme today which touched upon the way data can be unrelable/distorted. The book is called 'proofiness.'

I'm going to use this part of my blog as a place where I can put together ideas for my show and try to remember some of the ideas discussed yesterday (06/01/11) with the curator.

1. Astroturf segment...this could be a simple carpeted shape in the gallery space...it could also be used to site a cup on top of...

2.

No comments: