Sunday, November 28, 2010

Post 4b (ill)


I've decided to keep my posts all on Lunderbach. I'm going to separate out the illustrative work from the fine art for the time being as I feel I need to make sense of my posting.

I realise that I'm going to be combining the two, but I need to keep the SL stuff separate because I suffer from the dibilitating head turning syndrome!

I went to Lincoln on Friday to submit some sketchbooks for a show. I realised that I really need to write more about my drawing as I was required to include a statement about my work and felt that the writing was a bit forced/stale. I guess that only comes with practice - hence the new blog postings.

The image I've posted here is called 'waiting for work on a Sunday evening.' I feel that drawing gives me an outlet for my insecurities and daily worries of coping with the real world. I guess most people get that Sunday feeling - perhaps some feel it more than others though. I enjoy being able to say things in my work that aren't necessarily appropriate in the day to day. It's good to get the observations out there.

Although, it's a pretty subjective thing to deal with, people come from very different places. Is my work therefore a kind of therapy? Is it something that is be self indulgent? I think I must consider my audience, perhaps hoping that there are some shared issues that they, the viewer can relate to.

I think this is where commissioned illustration differs from 'Fine Art.' I'd still like to do a series of politically inspired works, especially in light of the current climate and aim to produce work for an editorial portfolio.

No comments: