Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Post 58


Had a walk along the Humber bank this morning. The mist was covering most of the Humber bridge which made me think about the legend of the magician Manannin. He was the guardian of the Isle Of Man and would cast his mist coat to disguise it from the danger of invasion.

Anyway, I've been on the lookout for discarded objects and ephemera to use in my latest series of collage works for the book of dreams. I'm interested in the objects I choose to select and reject. I've found myself rejecting materials such as coke bottles and passages of text in favour of 'the decorative'. I'm becoming increasingly aware of these concerns when operating as an illustrator over the fine art profession. Society is more and more concerned with attaching a lifestyle to images and this is an overriding concern when working as an illustrator.

I've also beeen collaging some existing sketchbook drawings...something I must confess to feeling uneasy about. I think there is a kind of reluctance as I tend to view the sketchbook as a work of art in it's entirety. Although, most of my sketchbooks are shop bought, I'm becoming more and more interested in the possibility of making my own ones. I think there is also the issue of the archiving process. For example, I tend to attach my sketchbooks or journals to a period of time, when complete I date them (mostly in retrospect) thus developing a history. It can feel uncomfortable for me to break this system...is this a bit sentimental of me? Could I put them all into the mix...post modernity says it's OK.

No comments: