Friday, November 23, 2007

Post 20

The set of images are taken directly from my sketchbook drawings which refer to the 3 passages between Stillman ans Quinn. I've left them as they are in the hope that it gives a better sense of my thought processes without the intervention of manipulation via computer, ink, print etc.

It could be useful to continue working through the process and discover a way to find a way of allowing my illustration to exist alongside the text. I could start off with one of my many images and write my own peice of flash fiction, which will no doubt make reference to the trilogy and depict it through a selection of textless narratives.

Books and artists that I need to look at in more detail are:

> Frans Masereel.

> Las Arrhenius.

> Andrzeq Klimowski.

> The screenplay ( can't find in library) Shortcuts - Robert Altman.

Max Ernst...on of a list of artsts to do textless narratives.

interesting artists from Kramers Ergot,...Souther Salazar and Marc Bell.








I feel that it makes 'sense' for me to use drawing as a starting point, and then attempt to be 'less literal' or find ways to give an impression/illuminate the text. Am I thinking too 'literally' when seeing the text as construct/deconstruct/reconstruct?

The brief is to design 3 posters- one from each conversation in chapter 9 of The City Of Glass between Stillman and Quinn. I've been thinking more about Mr Humpty Dumpty: the fractured scribble. The larger Humpty image below, has perhaps found some loose connection with that of the 'Pop Surrealist' movement. Is it too literal...too close to the written word?

I feel that it reads like some kind of iceberg facade to a world that is broken, disconnected from itself, with multiple meaning and then perhaps without a centre. The story is essentially about nothing much really, perhaps hidden truth/layers, gives the impression of leading nowhere...Russian dolls? I might need to read the next 2 stories....



























No comments: