Saturday, December 11, 2010

Post 10b: Fine art gen: ideas




I've been thinking a bit about putting together a list of ideas that could be used towards general call outs for opportunities. What skills could I develop to apply for a broader range of call outs? I think my SL stuff is okay, but has quite a narrow application thus far. I'd like to have the chance to be a bit more spontaneous in my current approach.

1. Re-introduce my twigs project.
2. Try out different ways of showing work: film, sculpture, sound, multi media, installation, photography.
3. Keep looking at other artists.
4. Respond to open calls.

5. Idea: Make some bubbles using bubble bath and place them into a container. Get a torch and shine at the bubble bath container. Set this up at the beginning of the exhibition/installation and title the work '(time and date, 'This is happening now...a lit torch shining onto a beaker containing radox bath foam bubbles').

I suppose I'm trying to say something about the slipperiness of time. Inevitably the bubbles will recede and evaporate. The batteries will run out on the torch - it is perhaps a statement about the ever changing ideas of identity.

Today, I'm alive, breathing and typing on a keyboard in front of my computer. This is what I'm doing now - which is now a then. The self of a few moments ago has now evaporated. Could objects and stuff act as a kind of substitute for the self?

I think an interest in the notion of time passing is something that's represented in the FL project: recording, highlighting, referencing etc. Again I pose the question: What interests and informs my practice? Is it the very essence of the temporariness of my existence? The grand questions?

No comments: