Friday, December 3, 2010

Post 7B: illustrative


I've recently entered some work into a sketchbook show. During a conversation with my significant other, it was pointed out to me that my practice focuses around the use of this meduim. I've been considering how the production of journal based works really is key do what I do. I could somehow look at making this the key to my research topic. I need to find the title of a book devoted to this which I came across during my MA...could be a trip to the library in my alumni capactity...

## The image today explores my interest in the architctural. I enjoty the way one can just allow the pen/pencil to explore the paper and how it was possible that I used an existing object/image as a starting point for an unplanned outcome.

I didn't know what the animals within the boxeas would look like. It could be a loose comment on city living and how people live on top of one another. I'm not really looking to communicate a specific message, rather, I let intuition on my part give the viewer the tools in which to make their own conclusions.

I would also say that it looks 'kinda goofy.' Do I want the viewer to look and smile? Am I playing at part - time comedian? I think humour is a real issue I've got running through my work. It's always been a very dry sense of humour at that!

Who is the viewer? Will they find the image funny. Will it illicit a smile? Maybe I should look at taking a career turn into the world of the stand up? I'm always felt a need to comment, critique. There is also a underlying irritation, I try to keep the work from boiling over into full scale venom!

I think the sketchbook enables me to find a certain kind of honesty which I would find difficult to do in day to day life. There is also something quite satisfying that these images coupled with the various texts will then have an opportunity to be seen in the public realm. I'm deliberately awkward in my drawing. I feel that the work that I just do is enough - I like the feeling that it isn't completely contrived.

Why the hats? They also look kind of blocky. This is probably me continuing the theme odf modernist architectural shapes but also referincing crude digital technology...pixels.

11th Dec 2010

I went to the sketchbook show last night and was interested in the varied selection of sketchbooks that were on show. Ideaally, I'd like to pay another visit and spend a good day looking at the books and making notes.

I think that there could be mileage in this as a project and will also consider the viability of attending the symposium that's attached to the exhibition in Feb 2011.

No comments: