
'To dream of volcanoes usually signifies violent disputes'.
The word signifies made me consider signifiers, semiotics. I'm thinking about this relationship between the text and the image. The words 'volcano' and 'violent' would seem to be the key words if trying to put the message across to a wider audience. How much does the illustrator have to hand the concept onto the plate of the viewer? Again, I feel that there is some kind of dual going on between the fine art me and illustration me.
Those volcanoes don't look particularly violent, savage, beast, animal....and then you begin to trawl the dictionary in search of connections and connotations in search of 'the' most effective solution to the short text. How do I extract meaning from the passage. Where do I get the images? I then look on google image search to find a credible volcano. I feel reluctant to pick something on the first 3 pages as perhaps it will have been used already, reproduced...but why shouldn't I do the same? Is there a fear of committing a crime? Stealing images from others? I want to produce 'original' work but isn't it the job of the artist and illustrator the take from the proliferation of images and signs, the mass of depthlessness, and search for an original voice.
So, everything is acceptable, good for the mix, everything is valid...so I'll be crude and draw a volcano when the text is volcano...I'll produce images the way that I produce images...and I'll keep on looking at the work of others.
I noticed at a recent visit to the illustration degree show that many of these issues apply in contemporary practice. Although appreciating the 'technical skill of the illustration show, there is always the temptation to say 'yeah man, what a great show,' but I must confess to being left to feel hollow. was that the sentimentalist in me looking for some 'depth?' I then went to look at the degree show for fine art and felt a comforting arm around my shoulder...'home at last'. But is there really a home to go to?
No comments:
Post a Comment