Saturday, October 20, 2007

Post 3



I've been asked to come up with a list of questions about the kinds of things that I wish to discuss in my next meeting with BP.




1. How does one decide upon a specific research subject in a world containing so much information?




2. How do you store information? What systems does the professional illustrator use?




3. What are the main rules when working to a brief?




4. How do you get into the position of working with clients?




5. How do you decide upon an agent and do I need one anyway?




6. How do you talk confidently about your work, ideas and philosophies?




7. I only use a PC...is it essential to use MAC packages?




8. How do I make a good website...any advice re. web designers? (Affordable?).




9. What kinds of work, presentation do I need in an eye catching portfolio?




10. I'm on the AOI portfolio's....just one string to the bow...is it worthwhile?




11. Ideally, I would like to approach clients and agents etc from an early stage, is this wise or in fact worthwhile?






BP asked me to consider which area of illustration would I be interested in doing...advertising, editorials etc. Although this is a very early stage, I would predict that my drawing would be suited to editorials. I get the feeling that some of my ideas will change over the duration of the course.


BP also suggested that i consider what it is that I want from my time at the University and the input from the lecturers and where I want to be...



1. To become a professional illustrator.


2. To develop skills in talking with confidence about my ideas, concepts and themes within my own practice.


3. To get advice and info regarding professional development...this is a career move.


4. To understand the context in which my artwork and thinking exists through practical and theoretical modes of study.


5. To explore different practical techniques that would open my mind to possibilities within such an exciting discipline.


6. To find (as HP mentioned) a place for my work in the industry and how I can be accommodated by developing my unique signature.


7. HP suggested that I think about what new skill I'd like to develop.


- Experiment with design based software such as illustrator, latest editions of photoshop etc.


- I would like to explore possibilities within animation...perhaps bringing to life some of my sketchbook drawings.


- Film and video.


- Printmaking.

No comments: