Saturday, October 20, 2007

Post 4


My first week of the MA has been about keeping my mind open to a world of opportunity. I've taken my first trip to the library and walked our with 4 books under my arm. The first book to catch my eye under the illustration section has been 'Illusive- Contemporary Illustration and it's Context.'


Although tempting as it may be read the book, I've decided to keep it simple and look at images, illustrators and consider what I like about certain works that I select and why I prefer one piece of work to another.


1. Petra Borner- 'Paper Cuts.'


I like her work because of it's precision and fine detail with the perfectly executed 'cuts.' These perfections give a sense of 'the perfect product.'


2. Dustin Summers- 'Wilco Covers.' I like the way he/she? combines found imagery within the screen print.


- the substitution for the blood vessels in the lungs for what seems to be a cannabis leaf.


- The distressed mono print 'accidents' remind me of the automated Royal Mail letter franking systems.


3. Kosuke Ikeda.


The images depict exteriors of buildings, streets etc.


- I'm interested in the way the illustrator is inspired by the inside of envelopes combined with methodical drawing processes.


- highly detailed with clarity is a consistency within the imagery.


4. 'Masca.'


- uses distressed paper with a worn appearance.


- the good old graph paper.


- democratic drawing marker pens have been used in the creation of the work.

No comments: