early morn...5.35amChapter 9, Conversation 1...Basquiat Influence.
This is the first meeting between Stillman and Quinn, at Riverside Park. mid afternoon, biycicles and dog walkers.
Quinn begins by staring directly at Stillman snr ('burns hole in Stillmans skull').
Picked up on Stillman seeing NYC being '...the most folorn of places, the most abject...brokeness everywhere...each day I go out with my bag and collect objects that seem worthy of investigation.'
I've been drawing objects onto the paper, half thoughts, Basquiat in mind.
I tore up the images/words out of the page and proceeded to put them into envelopes.
I cut up the envelopes and am thinking about creating ground level city maps.
NYC...home of Basquiat.
Envelopes used for categorising.
Teletext, muzac, tired eyes...it's 05.49
----------------------------
'they think of words as stones, as great immovable objects...'
Stillman aims to create a new language 'a language that will at last say what we have t6o say. For our words no longer correspond to the world. when things were whole, we felt confident that our words could express them. But little by little things have broken apart, shattered, collapsed into chaos. and yet our words have remained the same. They have not adapted themselves to the new reality. hence, every time we try to speak of what we see, we speak falsely, distorting the very thing we are trying to represent.'
No comments:
Post a Comment